Browse Products By:



    Aberfeldy (AberFELdy) Distillery was founded by John Dewar & Sons, built in 1896 and opened in 1898. It is situated in the centre of Scotland in Perthshire, approx 5 miles east of Loch Tay and the town of Kenmore. It is still operational, but was closed for periods during WW1 and WW2 due to the short supply of barley.

    John Dewar snr died in 1880 but his two sons John and Tommy, managed to turn their fathers spirit business into a worldwide famous brand. While John built the distillery and managed business at home, Tommy traveled the world promoting Dewar's Whisky.

    Aberfeldy whisky was reserved for many years as the heart of the famous Dewar's blends, but is now available as single malt.

    Allt A Bhainne

    Allt A Bhainne is located in the southern part of the central Speyside region, south of Dufftown at Glenrinnes, Banffshire, Scotland. Allt A Bhainne means "Burn of Milk" in Gaelic and is pronounced 'olta-VAYne'

    The distillery looks quite modern compared to most Scottish distilleries as it was built in 1975, with its main focus being to supply malt whisky for the famous Chivas Regal and 100 Pipers blends. It was expanded in 1989, to have 2 wash and 2 spirit stills, enabling production to be doubled, however it was mothballed in 2002. Operation was restarted in May 2005 and is still in production.

    Allt-A-Bhainne is not bottled as a Single Malt by the owners, Pernod Ricard, but occasional independent bottlings are available.


    A single malt from the foot of the Himalaya's.

    Produced in India, Amrut Single Malt Whisky is a product of 20 years of research by Amrut Distilleries, which was founded in 1948, in an effort to produce high quality malt whisky is tune with world standards.

    The whisky is made from select Indian malted barley grown in Punjab and Rajasthan, the northwest frontier states of India. The cold winters and fiery summers create a unique quality of grain, rich in flavour. Malting takes place at maltsters in Jaipur and Delhi.

    The malted barley is then transported to the south of India to the production unit in Bangalore where it is carefully mashed and distilled in small batches to preserve the natural aromas. The whisky then undergoes maturation in imported oak barrels in a unique tropical condition at a ware house on the distillery premises in Bangalore, the Garden City of India, which is at an altitude of 3000 ft. above the sea level.

    To maintain the natural character of the product, the whisky is not chill filtered.

    Amrut was recently named a "Distiller of the Year" in the Icons of Whisky 2011.


    anCnoc (a-nock) is actually produced at the Knockdhu distillery which is situated in the picturesque village of Knock in Aberdeenshire, up in the north east corner of Scotland.

    In 1892 John Morrison bought the Knock estate from the Duke of Fife, following the discovery of several springs on the southern slope of Knock Hill. The surrounding land was full of peat and barley and the Great North Railway line ran nearby. John saw a golden opportunity. Knockdhu opened its doors in October 1894 and the methods used to make anCnoc have hardly changed in over 100 years. It remained in continuous operation until 1931, when it was forced to close for a few years due to the economic depression. Wartime restrictions on barley forced a second closure from 1940-1945. Knockdhu was again closed in 1983, but was sold to Inver House in 1988, production resumed in February 1989. Previously named Knockdhu after the distillery, it was renamed anCnoc in 1994 to avoid confusion with Knockando.

    anCnoc is a Gaelic word meaning 'the hill'


    In 1798 the Macdougalls start producing whisky at Ardbeg farm with little more than a worm in a tub and a small pot still.

    Ardbeg is the peatiest and smokiest of all the Islay malts, yet has a fruity floral sweetness and complexity to the spirit. In 1815 John Macdougall takes out a licence and Ardbeg is now a legitmate concern. In 1838 Thomas Buchanan, a Glasgow spirit merchant buys the distillery, but John Macdougall's son Alexander is the manager. After Johns death in 1853, Colin Hay and Johns sisters (Margaret and Flora) co run the business. In 1922 Alexander MacDougall & Co Ltd purchases Ardbeg, but in 1959 Ardbeg Distillery Ltd buys Alexander MacDougall & Co Ltd. Hiram Walker acquires the distillery in 1977. Production dwindles to nothing and in 1987 Allied Lyons takes over.

    In 1991 the distillery closes for the second time, but in 1997 the Glenmorangie company takes over and is still the owner today.

    Ardbeg is the peatiest and smokiest of all the Islay malts, yet has a fruity floral sweetness and complexity to the spirit, and has now been voted the Best Whisky in the world for 3 years in a row.

    Armorik Whisky Breton (Warenghem)

    Armorik is a French single malt from Breton, double-distilled at the Warenghem distillery in traditional copper alambic stills. Armorik was first distilled in 1994, and has been available in France as a single malt since 1999.

    Arran (Isle of)

    In 1995 a new distillery opened at Lochranza on "The Isle of Arran", in what must be one of the most beautiful locations in Scotland. Early in the 19th century there were more than 50 whisky distilleries on Arran, most of them illegal and carefully hidden from the eyes of the taxmen. The malt from Arran was shipped to the mainland and enjoyed by the gentry who regularly "took the Arran waters". It was acclaimed at the time as the best in Scotland, only rivalled by those from the 'Glen of Livet'.

    Arran single malt expressions are produced using only the traditional methods of distilling, with wooden washbacks, copper stills and is non-chillfiltered.


    The Auchroisk Distillery (pronounced ar-thrusk) is located between Aberlour and Keith on Highway A95 in Scotland. The name is pronounced "orth-rusk," which means "ford across the red stream" in Gaelic and refers to the Mulben Burn from which the distillery draws its cooling water. Although Auchroisk is relatively new, built in 1973, it has amassed numerous awards for both its whisky and building architecture. The distillery has eight stainless steel washbacks and eight high necked pot stills which produces a light, elegant spirit. Only 10% of the production is sold as single malt, the remaining being used in blends, specially in the well-known J&B.

    Auchroisk is owned by Diageo.

    Bakery Hill

    The whiskies have received high praise from Jim Murray in his Whisky Bible. Murray described the Classic Malt as "easily the most stylish Australian malt I have found".


    Originally founded in 1790, the distillery was rebuilt in 1895 by the designer Charles C Doig to be closer to the Edderton Railway Station on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway line.

    John Ross, the founder, ran Balblair as a thriving business and in 1824 he was joined by his son, Andrew. The distillery stayed in the Ross family until 1894 when the tenancy was taken over by Alexander Cowan. In 1948 the freehold was bought by Robert Cumming, who promptly expanded the distillery and increased production. Cumming ran the distillery until he retired in 1970 when he sold it to Hiram Walker. In 1996 Balblair Distillery was purchased by Inver House Distillers Limited.


    Balmenach distillery is nestled at the bottom of the Haughs of Cromdale in the Spey valley. In the early 1800 three brothers crossed these hills from Tomintoul and set up a farm. One of these brothers was a James McGregor who also set up an illicit still on the site. Shortly after the licensing act was introduced James McGregor obtained a license for his distillery formally establishing it in 1824.

    The distillery was owned and operated by the McGregor family until it was sold in 1922 to a company that would become DCL. In 1993 UDV took the decision to mothball Balmenach, the distillery lay silent until 1998 when Inver House Distillers bought the distillery making it the company's fifth and largest distillery. The first distillate of Balmenach for 5 years was then produced in March that year, and stored in casks in one of the three dunnage warehouses on the site.

    As is predominant of Inver House Distillers the traditional machinery and methods are still used to this day. This includes a cast iron mash tun mashing slightly more than 8 tonnes every 7.5 hours. The wash is fermented in six douglas fir washbacks for a minimum of 50 hours before it is sent to the stillhouse for distillation.

    The stillhouse comprises of three wash stills and three spirit stills capable producing over 2 million litres of whisky a year. This sprit travels slowly through 90 metres of copper tube coils in large tubs of cold water, known as "worm tubs", before it enters one of the two spirit safes in the stillhouse. There it is transferred to one of two spirit vats. The smaller of these being used for the filling of casks on site to then be matured in oak casks for many years until the spirit is deemed at its best for bottling.


    Balvenie Castle lent its name to the adjacent farm, Balvenie Mains. It also lent some stones to Balvenie New House, a replacement dwelling rather easier to heat and maintain than a medieval fort. After several decades the house itself stood empty, but soon developed a new role as the heart of a brand-new distillery from which the first spirit flowed on May Day 1893.

    The basement became a warehouse, the first storey a malt floor and upstairs a loft to store the barley from the fertile thousand acres of Balvenie Mains.

    In the 1920s a new maltings was built right next door, using stone blocks from the now levelled New House. Little else has changed over the years.


    BenRiach, 'the hill of the deer' was built in 1898 by the Grant family at the foothills of the Grampian mountains. In 1900 it was mothballed after just 2 years of production, and remained closed until 1965. However its floor maltings remained in constant production providing malted barley for the Longmorn distillery next door. In 1965 BenRiach is reopened by Glenlivet Distillers and is nearly totally rebuilt internally. In 1972 production of peated malt whisky also commences. Seagrams takes over ownership in 1978 and 2 more stills are added in 1985. BenRiach is released as a branded single malt in 1994, but annual bottling is limited to a few hundred cases. Pernod Ricard take over in 2001 but, this leads to the distillery being mothballed again in 2002.

    In 2004 BenRiach is acquired by an independent consortium and production re commences.

    • The BenRiach Distillery Company has been named Global Whisky Distiller of the Year at the 2015 Icons of Whisky Awards.


    Located in the Speyside region,the early history of the Benrinnes Distillery inidcates that it was run as part of a farm. It was rebuilt as a distillery when the buildings were destroyed during floods in 1829. The distillery has enjoyed almost continual production with only short breaks during the war years. In 1966 a 2nd set of stills was added, doubling production.

    Benrinnes uses a form of triple distillation. This produces spirit of around 76% volume, several degrees more than standard double distillation. Benrinnes uses worm-tubs, the traditional pipe-spirals immersed in cold water, to condense the vapours produced by the stills.


    Benromach is a Speyside distillery founded by Duncan McCallum and F.W. Brickman in 1898 and currently owned and run by Gordon and Macphail of Elgin. It is situated near Forres in Morayshire and is fed with spring water from the Chapelton Springs in the Romach Hills beside Forres.

    Duncan MacCallum had previously been working at the Glen Nevis Distillery in Campbeltown and FW Brickmann was a spirit broker in Leith, Edinburgh. Construction work started at the site of Benromach Distillery in 1898 however due to the depression in the Scotch Whisky industry in 1898 the distillery did not start producing whisky until 1900 but closed the same year due to a lack of money.

    In 1911 Benromach was acquired by the London based Harvey McNair & Co who continued distilling until the onset of the First World War. After the war Benromach was acquired by Benromach Distillery Ltd and was run by this new private company until 1925. In 1938 Benromach was acquired by Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd which later became a part of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. Between 1966 and 1974 the distillery was modernised and continued to run until 1983 when the distillery was officially closed.

    In 1993 Gordon and MacPhail took over the site and in 1997 they started to restore the distillery to a working order. Finally in 1998 the distillery was officially reopened and bottling of the new malt started in 2004.

    Black Bull

    Black Bull is not a distillery, but is series of award winning deluxe blended whiskies produced by those famous independent bottlers, Duncan Taylor in Scotland.

    Flavour is hugely important at Black Bull along with enjoying the good times, so with each of their blends they set out to create something new and different – whilst keeping in mind 150 years of Black Bull blending values and philosophies. They have created each Black Bull blend with its own flavour and character, so from the vibrant, untamed Kyloe to the big, bold 12 year old to the definitive, refined 40 year old, there is a Black Bull to suit your personality and pallet. They have created blends that they like drinking themselves, so we say throw off the modern day shackles and grab life by the horns!


    Bowmore (BOH-mor) Distillery is situated on the shore of Loch Indaal in the town of Bowmore, on the Island of Islay(eye-la). Founded over two centuries ago in 1779 by a local merchant, John P. Simpson, before passing into the ownership of the Mutter family. Bowmore is the first recorded, legal, distillery on Islay and one of the oldest in the whole of Scotland. One of only a few distilleries anywhere which still produces its own floor malted barley, hand-turned by traditional wooden malt shovel. Water is drawn from the Laggan River, with its rich peaty overtones, and Islay peat, fires the malt drying kiln. The distillery, like most in Scotland, was mothballed during the World Wars, and hosted the RAF Coastal Command for much of World War II, Coastal Command operated flying boats from Loch Indaal on Anti-submarine warfare missions.

    Since the Morrison family ownership, Bowmore Distillery is now controlled by the Japanese distiller, Suntory.


    The Brora distillery was built in 1819 by the Marquess of Stafford, although it was known as "Clynelish" until the opening of the Clynelish Distillery in 1968, whereupon the name of the original Clynelish was changed to "Brora".

    Between May 1969 and July 1973, Brora produced a heavily peated whisky to supply for blending, this was done to cover a shortage of Islay whisky caused by a drought in that region.

    Most of the whisky produced as Brora after 1973 is in the lightly peated Highland style.

    In early 1983, production at Brora was stopped and the distillery was mothballed.


    Bushmills Distillery is in the village of Bushmills in unique North Antrim , Northern Ireland. It is located on the banks of St. Columb's Rill and reputed to be the oldest licensed Distillery in the world , being given legal status in 1608 when King James 1st granted a license to local landowner Sir Thomas Phillips.

    The Victorian architecture of the Distillery dates from 1885 when it was rebuilt after a fire.

    During its existence the distillery has changed ownership many times, at one time it was owned by the Boyd family who were responsible for promoting the product worldwide, in 1972 it became part of the Irish Distillers Group who themselves were taken over by Pernod Ricard, the distillery is now owned by Diageo.


    Cameronbridge Distillery was founded by John Haig in 1824 and is Scotland\'s oldest and the largest remaining grain whisky distillery. It is located in Leven, Fife, Scotland. In 1826 it became the first distillery to produce Grain whisky using a continuous still method invented by Robert Stein (who was John Haig\'s cousin) which was later developed into what we now know as the \'Coffey Still\'.

    Castle Brands

    One of the few small public companies in the global beverage alcohol industry, Castle Brands engages in developing and marketing a wide range of beverages. Their whiskey that we are interested in is, Clontarf Irish Whiskey and Knappogue Castle Irish Whiskey, both of which have won numerous awards.


    Throughout the years, Clynelish™ has always been held in high regard by experts. The great Victorian, Professor George Saintsbury, selected it as a favourite and today's malt whisky lovers consistently praise its unique combination of North Highland and maritime qualities.

    You can almost taste the sea air in Clynelish, with its crisp, medium- bodied, mustard-fresh style. Although you won’t find Islay’s powerful smokiness here, there is just a trace if it lingering.

    “A Majestic Whisky ” Charles MacLean, Whisky Writer.


    Cooley Distillery is an Irish whiskey distillery, located on the Cooley Peninsula in County Louth. It is the only independent Irish owned distillery in Ireland, converted in 1987 from an older potato alcohol plant by John Teeling and other investors. Cooley use two smaller copper pot stills with large necks, according to the distillery, the size of the necks increases the time it takes for the spirits to pass through with 50 percent. The result is a more refined and milder whiskey. Compared to other Irish distilleries such as Bushmills, Cooley only distils their whiskey twice.

    Cooley has won over 300 medals since opening. Other awards they have received include "European Distiller of the Year" in 2008 and 2009 and "Distillery of the Year" in 2008 from the International Wine and Spirit Competition, and "Distillery of the Year" in 2010 from Malt Advocate magazine. Cooley has continued its phenomenal success with four Gold Medals for its Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish whiskey range including two Best in Class honors at the International Wine and Spirits Competition (IWSC)2011, reaffirming its place as the most honoured Irish Single Malt of all time at International Spirits Competitions.


    He died in 1886 leaving the business to his son Gordon, who largely rebuilt the distillery in 1901. So it exists in the form we know today, though in keeping with tradition, the two pairs of flat-top stills (designed by John Smith himself), have been preserved throughout. Despite further changes of ownership and two world wars, Cragganmore has continued to produce a complex, highly prized single malt whisky.


    Pronounced 'Dal-yoo-en', Daluaine sits close to Ben Rinnes in Speyside and was founded in 1852 by William Mackenzie. When he died in 1865 his widow leased the distillery to James Fleming, a banker from Aberlour. Together with William Mackenzie's son he founded Mackenzie and Company. In 1891 Dailuaine-Glenlivet was founded and in 1898 Dailuaine and Talisker were fused to create

    Daluaine-Talisker Distilleries Co Ltd. In 1917 a big fire destroyed the pagoda-roof, which was the supposedly the first pagoda to be built in Scotland. The distillery had to close, but reopened three years later and was bought by Distillers Company Limited (DCL) in 1925. 1960 the Distillery was completely renovated and is enlarged from four to six stills. In 1987 Dailuaine was taken over by United Distillers.(now owned by Diageo)


    Richard Paterson is Master Distiller for The Dalmore. Richard began his career at a whisky brokerage in Glasgow and following completion of his apprenticeship, joined The Dalmore where he has been Master Distiller since 1970. The Dalmore distillery is owned and operated by Whyte and Mackay Ltd.


    The distillery was founded with the name of the nearby town Strathspey in the late 1890s. In 1897, John Grant, George Sellar and Alexander Mackenzie founded the Strathspey distillery. Production started in 1898 but unfortunately the society went bankrupt the same year. The distillery was sold to AP Blyth in 1898 and his son renamed it Dalwhinnie. The Dalwhinnie name derives from the Gaelic word 'Dail-coinneeamh' meaning for a meeting place of sheep and cattle drovers. Set in splendid mountain scenery, Dalwhinnie is the highest distillery in Scotland at 1073 ft. It was close to the geographic centre of the Highlands and so enjoyed easy access to the reliable link to market offered by the new Highland Railway. This helped the distillery to survive its often fragile beginnings. So remote is the distillery that in 1994 it was officially recorded as the coldest inhabited place in Scotland for that year. A fire in 1934 stopped production for 3 years, and the reopening in 1938 was short-lived because the second world war brought restrictions on the supply of barley. Since reopening in 1947, the distillery has continued to operate through to the present day, although on-site malting ceased in 1968.

    Where it can, Dalwhinnie retains the old ways, traditional wood is still used for its washbacks, for example. Just two copper stills, as there have always been, send the alcohol into the lye pipes on its way to the stillman. Dalwhinnie is part of the Classic Malts brand of Diageo.


    Edradour distillery nestles in a glen in the hills above Pitlochry in the Southern Highlands and was built in the early nineteenth century. It is Scotland's smallest distillery - and the whisky is hand made today as it was over 150 years ago by just three men who follow the time-honoured methods of whisky making. Equipment used at the distillery has remained unchanged since the day the distillery opened and is only just capable of producing commercial quantities. Only 12 casks of whisky are produced a week, making Edradour single malt a rare pleasure.

    Fettercairn (Old)

    Fettercairn distillery, set up by the Ramsay family, has been in operation since 1824, making it one of Scotland's oldest malt whisky distilleries. The Distillery is snugly tucked away at the foot of the Cairngorm mountains (the name Fettercairn means 'foot of the mountain') from which it takes spring water supplies. The distillery was rebuilt between 1887 and 1890 after it was damaged by a fire. It was also silent between 1926 & 1939, when it was acquired by Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd. The new owners resumed production and until the maltings were closed in 1960 the distillery enjoyed a few quiet decades. In 1966 the number of stills was extended from two to four, but that was the last major change to the distillery itself. Fettercairn was acquired by the Tomintoul-Glenlivet Distillery Co in 1971, but just two years later the Tomintoul-Glenlivet Distillery Co was sold to Scottish & Universal Investment Trust, (owned by the Fraser family) who also buy Whyte & Mackay in the same year. A few other owners and company name changes occur, but Fettercairn and Tomintoul are now part of Whyte & Mackay Distillers Ltd.

    Glen Elgin

    Glen Elgin is an unusually distinctive Speyside single malt, from a little known traditional distillery, that finds its home 10 miles south of where the river Lossie exits to the sea and about 40 miles east of Inverness.

    The early 1960s brought much needed investment and four new stills were finally added to the original two. The spirit and wash stills are similar in size and shape, although the spirit stills have a flatter pot. There is a gentle incline on the lyne arms which lead outside to the worm tubs. Using worm tubs to cool the distilled vapours, as opposed to condensers, adds a depth and richness to the spirit.

    Glen Keith

    Originally a meal mill, Glen Keith Distillery is in Keith, on the banks of the river Isla, opposite the Strathisla Distillery. Although much of the mill has been demolished, Chivas Brothers converted it to a distillery in 1958 and it was one of the first new malt distilleries built in Scotland since the distillery-building boom of the 1890's. In 1970, Glen Keith became the first distillery in Scotland to have a gas-fired still and the first microprocessor for controlling aspects of production was installed 10 years later. The system was subsequently extended to provide improved quality and production controls in the mill and eventually even the still room. Glen Keith tested and introduced many other innovative processes designed to complement and refine the traditional arts and skills involved in the making of malt whisky. The distillery is now owned by Pernod Ricard, who purchased Chivas Brothers Limited in 2001. However, it has been silent since March 1999, but site is still used as a filling store and technical centre.

    Glen Moray

    Glen Moray distillery is located on the banks of the river Lossie in the Western quarter of the ancient city, and royal burgh of Elgin, Speyside, Scotland. In the year 1831, Glen Moray was originally built as a brewery. It was converted to a distillery in 1897, but closed in 1910. It was briefly reopened in 1912 but closed again the same year, after which the distillery remained silent for almost a decade. After Glenmorangie took over it managed to resume production in 1923. With the exception of the year 1932 when no whisky was produced at all, the distillery remained in production until 1958 when it was reconstructed. The distillery received 2 additional stills at this time. The Glenmorangie Company who had owned the distillery since 1920, sold in 2008 to La Martiniquaise.

    Glen Scotia

    Glen Scotia(pronounced glen sco-sha) was founded in 1832 by the Galbraith family. The family sold it to West Highland Malt Distillers in 1919, although that company went bankrupt in 1924 and control of the distillery was transferred to Duncan MacCallum. Glen Scotia closed in 1928 but whisky production restarted in 1933. In 1954 the distillery was bought by the Hiram Walker company, who sold it to A. Gillies & Co. After less than one year of ownership, A. Gillies & Co. was absorbed into Amalgamated Distillers Products in 1970. Glen Scotia was closed again in 1984, and then re-opened in 1989, and production stopped once more in 1994 when the distillery was bought by Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouse. Production was again resumed in 1999. It is one of only three remaining distilleries in the region of Campbeltown, the other two being Springbank and Glengyle.

    The Glen Scotia packaging has been recently redesigned with 5 new expressions (10, 12, 16, 18 and 21 year old ages)using the highland cow and northern light skies as positive images of Scotland.

    Glen Spey

    Glen Spey distillery was built in 1878 by James Stuart & Co. under the name 'Mill of Rothes'. The distillery actually started its life as an oatmeal mill. The exterior of the distillery is still pleasingly Victorian with solid, weathered stone buildings. Much of the interior, too, is in period. There are two pairs of stills, the second pair being added in 1970 during rebuilding of the distillery. Water is taken from the Doonie Burn. The two spirit stills both have so-called 'purifiers'. Purifiers act as small condensers, returning a proportion of the alcohol vapours back to the pot to be re-distilled. These purifiers are said to produce a lighter, more delicate malt whisky.


    The Glenallachie distillery is relatively unknown, but it's actually among the top 30 distilleries in Scotland, production wise.


    Glenburgie Distillery's history can be traced back to 1810 when it was just a small stone building called Kilnflat. The distillery operated under this name until 1878, although it was closed around 1870. It was revived again in 1878 when it was then renamed Glenburgie. (also known as Glenburgie-Glenlivet) For a time, the distillery was actually producing two different whiskies, Glenburgie, and another malt, known as Glencraig, in 1981, the Lomond Stills were replaced by a pair of conventional pot stills. Bottlings are still quite rare as most of it is used for blends like Ballantine's. Glenburgie is now owned by Pernod Ricard.


    The Glencadam (also known as GlencaRdam) distillery is a little known distillery that is located in the eastern Highlands of Scotland. It was built in 1825 by George Cooper, in the town of Brechin, which lies between Dundee and Aberdeen. Historically Glencadam has formed an important part of top selling blends such as Ballantine's and Teacher's. Like so many other distilleries, Glencadam experienced a massive number of changes in ownership during the 19th century. Angus Dundee Distillers took over the distillery and reopened it in 2003. It had been closed by the previous owners in 2000, but everything was kept intact so that production could restart immediately.

    Glencadam has won many Gold and Silver awards.


    The history of distilling at the Recherlich farm in Ballindalloch dates back well before 1836, when the distillery became legally established. At that time the tenant for the farm was Robert Hay. He moved in 1865, and John Grant a local cattle farmer took an interest as he was on the outlook for a staging post between the family farm in Glenlivet and the important nearby market in Elgin. So in 1865 John Grant acquired the tenancy for the Recherlich farm and as part of the transaction purchased the Glenfarclas (Glen of the Green Grassland) Distillery. The cattle drovers would have been amongst the first to enjoy drams from the distillery and would have helped spread the reputation. The story of Glenfarclas is as rich and colourful as the whisky which bears its name. It is the story of one family, the Grants, who since 1865 have been united in creating a range of outstanding Speyside Single Malts. The company remains to this day in family hands with 5th generation John Grant the current Chairman. Glenfarclas is matured in two types of cask : Plain oak casks, which have been used to mature Bourbon and Scotch whisky and Spanish sherry casks, which have matured Oloroso or Fino sherry. Glenfarclas does not use any caramel to colour its whiskies and so the lustrous colours of the finished products are all the result of the cask maturation. Glenfarclas was voted Distiller of the Year at the 2006 Icons of Whisky.


    The Glenfiddich Distillery was founded in 1886 by William Grant in Dufftown, Scotland, in the valley of the River Fiddich. Following difficult times in the 1960s and 70s, many small, independent distillers were bought up or went out of business. In order to survive, W. Grant & Sons expanded their production of the drink, and introduced advertising campaigns, a visitors' centre and from 1957 packaged the Scotch in distinctive triangular bottles. Later, W. Grant & Sons was one of the first distilleries to package its bottles in tubes and gift tins. This marketing strategy was successful, and Glenfiddich has now become the world's best-selling single malt. It is sold in 180 countries, and accounts for about 35% of single malt sales.

    In 2009, Glenfiddich collected the ISC Distiller of the Year title, which follows on from the same accolade in 2008, 2006 and 2005 and IWSC Worldwide Distiller of the Year title in 2007. It is still independent, owned and run by the fifth generation of the Grant family. Not much has changed at the Glenfiddich Distillery since the first spirit ran from the stills on Christmas Day, 1887, even the copper stills are the same, every original bump and dent faithfully reproduced lest the flavour should be affected.


    Glenkinchie lies, as the name might suggest, in a glen of the Kinchie Burn near the village of Pencaitland, East Lothian. It is situated about 15 miles from Edinburgh. The name 'Kinchie' is a corruption of 'De Quincy', the original owners of the land. The original name was Milton Distillery, but was changed in about 1837.

    Founded in 1825, the distillery was later purchased and restored by an association of whisky merchants and blenders from Edinburgh in the 1890s. It took ten years but the result was the Victorian distillery that we know today, with its characteristic red-brick buildings, houses for workers and even its own bowling green.

    With just two Lowland distilleries left in production, Glenkinchie single malt whisky is the undisputed champion of the light Lowland style. Tradition has its place here, for example, six wooden washbacks are still used for fermentation, two made from Oregon Pine and four from Canadian Larch. Glenkinchie's two fat old copper pot stills are also a distinctive feature, among the largest in the industry and together producing an impressive 1.3 million litres annually. A single cast-iron worm tub cools the spirit, in preference to a more modern condenser, giving the whisky greater character and depth.

    Glenlivet (The)

    The Glenlivet Distillery is near Ballindalloch in Moray, Scotland. In 1824, the distillery was established at Upper Drumin by George and his youngest son John Gordon Smith. George Smith died in 1871 and his son John inherited the distillery. It has operated almost continuously since, even remaining open throughout the Great Depression and its only closure came during World War II. They draw water from Josie's Well and other springs a short distance from the distillery. The stills are lantern shaped with long, narrow necks, all of which helps to produce a light tasting spirit. It has 4 wash stills and 4 spirit stills.

    Glenlivet Distillery (George & J.G. Smith, Ltd.) merged with the Glen Grant Distillery in 1953. The company would go on to merge with Hill Thomson & Co, and Longmorn-Glenlivet Distilleries, in 1970, before changing their name to Glenlivet Distillers Ltd in 1972. The company was then purchased by Seagram in 1977, with ownership of Glenlivet then passing to Pernod Ricard.


    The distillery, established in 1876, is located in the heart of Speyside, adjacent to the Mannochmore distillery.

    Glenrothes (The)

    Hidden in a tree lined gorge, The Glenrothes Distillery is situated in the heart of Speyside beside the burn of Rothes which flows from the Mannoch Hils into the river Spey. On 28th December 1879 the first pure spirit flowed from the stills at the distillery. In 1896 the still house was expanded to add a second pair of stills and John Smith, an experienced Speyside distiller, becomes distillery manager until 1928, and is followed by his son and grandson. During the first world war Glenrothes closed briefly (1917-18) and then after the US Prohibition, and Wall street crash, production at Glenrothes dwindled to 64,000 gallons, its lowest for 44 years. In 1933 Glenrothes closes, along with almost every distillery in Scotland. It reopens in the autumn following the repeal of prohibition in America. Glenrothes gets a third pair of stills in 1963 and the method of heating is changed from direct fire to internal steam coils. External worm tubs are replaced with modern condensers. In 1979 work begins on converting the old malt barn into the new still house and a fourth pair of stills are added. The launch of The Glenrothes 12 year-old Single Malt happened in 1987 and in 1989 a fifth pair of stills are added bringing total capacity to 5.6 million litres a year. In 1994 they launched their "Vintage Malt" with The Glenrothes Vintage 1979. Oversupply in the industry in the year 2000 led to Glenrothes working 6 months on and 6 months off but in 2004 it was back to full production again.


    In 1925 James Buchanan & Company became part of the DCL empire. Glentauchers worked continuously, with exception of the war-time years, until 1985 when it was mothballed. In 1989 it was sold to Allied Distillers who restarted production. The current owners are Chivas Brothers, who are part of the larger Pernod Ricard group.


    Perched in the Southern Japanese Alps, Hakushu is, at over 700 meters above sea level, one of the loftiest malt whisky distilleries in the world.(Scotland's highest distilleries are Dalwhinnie and Braeval, both about 355 meters.) It takes its water from beneath Kai-Komagatake (Pony Mountain).

    Opened by Suntory in 1973 to help meet Japan's huge thirst for whisky, its 12 stills are known for making single malts with a clean, playful taste, with sweet fruity flavours often balanced by well controlled peppery or aniseed tastes.


    The newest addition to the range of whiskies produced at Springbank, Hazelburn gains it's light, delicate character through being distilled three times in the distillery's old copper stills.

    Hazelburn is made with unpeated barley, making the spirit light, fruity and very, very subtle.

    1997 saw the first distillation of Hazelburn and the first release of the whisky as an eight year old in 2005, was so successful that all 6,000 bottles sold out within a matter of weeks. Like Longrow, Hazelburn is named after one of the old Campbeltown distilleries. Most of the distillery buildings are still standing, though the distillery is long defunct.

    Hellyers Road

    Hellyers Road Distillery is located in Burnie, Tasmania, and is Australia's largest distiller of single malt whisky.

    In 1825, Henry Hellyer was one of the first European explorers to set foot in the rugged interior of north west Tasmania as chief surveyor of the Van Dieman's Land Company. Hellyer had nothing more than a bullock gang and the most basic of tools to carve a dirt road into the ferocious wilderness.

    Henry Hellyer's tenacity and vision proved inspirational and changed people's lives. Almost 200 years later, his road now guides the way to the Hellyers Road Distillery.

    Hellyers exceptional whisky has also come from perseverance, determination and dedication and has been inspired by Henry's spirit to create a product that captures the very taste and character of Tasmania.


    See Hakushu Distillery...

    Highland Park

    Highland Park, located on the Island of Orkney, Scotland, will forever be associated with Magnus Eunson, the man often credited with the foundation of the distillery at the end of the 18th century. Eunson was a lay person by day and a smuggler by night, the latter operation based from his bothy on the High Park above Kirkwall where Highland Park Distillery now stands. By 1798 High Park had been founded. In April 1813 a syndicate, which included, John Robertson, and his fellow exciseman, Robert Pringle, purchased the High Park estate, including the distillery.

    The first official bottling of Highland Park was released in 1979, until that point there had only been 3rd party bottlings.


    Built in 1897, by Thomas MacKenzie, the Imperial Distillery coincided with Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, which was no doubt an influencing factor when naming the distillery. The water supply originates from the Mannoch hills to form the Ballintom Burn from where the water is drawn. With a shaky start and history, Imperial distillery started production in the summer of 1898 only to close a year later for 20 years. Production did recommence in 1919 but, again, for only six years. In 1955 it was renovated and reopened and in 1965, the stills increased from 2 to 4, but in 1985 it closed again. Reopened in 1989 by Allied Distillers, it was mothballed in 1998.


    Alexander Wilson established Inchgower Distillery in 1871 as a replacement for his Tochineal Distillery. Inchgower is situated in the Speyside area, just to the south of Buckie (a coastal fishing village), and near the site of the former Inchgower coaching inn. Buckie Council purchased the concern in 1936 and ownership was transferred to Arthur Bell & Sons Ltd in 1938. In 1966 they modernised the distillery and expanded the number of stills from two to four, doubling the capacity. The current owner is Diageo.

    The Flora & Fauna bottlings of Inchgower malt whisky feature a picture of an Oyster Catcher, a bird that is an annual visitor to this coastal area of the Speyside region.

    Inchgower is very difficult to find as only about 1% of production is released as a single malt.

    Islay Mist

    Islay Mist is a deluxe Scotch Whisky, blended by MacDuff International, based in Glasgow, Scotland. It was established in 1992 by Stewart MacDuff, Charles Murray and Ted Thomson, who between them have over 75 years experience within the Scotch Whisky Industry. The vision was to continue the proud tradition of independant Scotch Whisky blenders, offering quality, reliability and most importantly the personal touch in these days of multinational, multi-brand drinks organisations.

    The 'Islay Mist' has gone on to win numerous international awards.

    Laphroaig drinkers take note !


    Kilchoman (pronounced kilhoman) Distillery is situated on the western side of Islay, near the small town of Kilchoman and is one of the smallest distilleries in Scotland with an annual production of 100,000 litres of alcohol. The distillery began production in June 2005, and was the first to be built on the island of Islay in 124 years. Kilchoman uses barley grown on site at Rockside Farm and malted at the distillery and is one of only six distilleries to carry out traditional floor maltings.

    Mark Gillespie from WhiskyCast Scores Kilchoman an outstanding 91 points!


    Laphroaig Distillery is located on the remote island of Islay in the Western Isles of Scotland. Laphroaig, pronounced "La-froyg", is a Gaelic word meaning "the beautiful hollow by the broad bay". It is one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. The distillery was established in 1815 by Donald and Alexander Johnston but it is very likely that it was illegally distilling even before this. Their descendants ran the distillery until 1887, when it passed to the Hunter family. They in turn ran the distillery until 1954, Ian Hunter took over Laphroaig in 1921 and made several modernizations, for example the production capacity was doubled in 1923, and he also introduced the concept of storing the whisky in bourbon casks. When Ian died he left the distillery to one of his managers, Bessie Williamson. During WW2 production was completely shut down as the buildings were used as a garrison. The distillery was sold to Long John International in the 1960s, and subsequently became part of Allied Domecq in 1990, After the French group Pernod Ricard took control of Allied Domecq in 2005, the Laphroaig distillery was ceased to the American Fortune Brand(2006: Beam Global)

    Laphroaig has been the only whisky to carry the Royal Warrant of the Prince of Wales, which was awarded in person during a visit to the distillery in 1994.


    Lark Distillery is located in Hobart, Tasmania, and is ideally situated to make malt whisky. Bill Lark realised that everything you need for a world-class whisky was in Tasmania - rich fields of barley, an abundance of wonderfully pure soft water, highland peat bogs, and the perfect climate to bring all the ingredients together in a marriage of science, art and passion.


    The original distillery was built in 1821 on the southern outskirts of Elgin by Peter Brown. However, his distillery was completely demoplished and rebuilt by his son William in the 1870s. A new stillhouse with four new stills was added in the 1970s and is now the focus of malt production, the old washbacks are the only part of the old distillery still in use today, but the Victorian buildings still stand, despite much updating and expansion during the 1960s and 1970s. Linkwood has long been prized by blenders, and the vast majority of production goes into Diageo's Johnnie Walker and White Horse blends.


    Built on the Rothes road south of Elgin, on the site of an old chapel, the Longmorn distillery was founded by John Duff (John founded 'Glenlossie' 19 years earlier) and two associates, Charles Shirres and George Thomson in 1893. Its neighbour is 'Benriach' Distillery. In the early 1970's, Longmorn merged with "The Glenlivet" distillery to create "The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd". The distillery doubled its production capacity in 1972 and again in 1974, the number of stills went from 4 to 8. Seagram purchased the distillery in 1977 and in 2001 was bought by the French group, Pernod-Ricard. Longmorn is one of the few distilleries who has never stopped production.


    First distilled in 1973, Longrow (produced at Springbank distillery) is a double distilled, heavily peated single malt.

    The first distillation was carried out as an experiment when the Springbank chairman set out to prove that it was possible to produce an Islay-style single malt whisky on the mainland. This experiment produced a whisky so special that Longrow was distilled again a few years later and has become an important part of the Mitchell's portfolio, with regular distillation having taken place since 1992.

    The barley used in the production of Longrow is entirely peat dried, giving the whisky a wonderfully smokey, peaty character.

    The whisky is named after the old Longrow distillery which stood adjacent to Springbank and Longrow CV is the latest addition to the range, complementing the existing 10 and 14 year old bottlings.

    Macallan (The)

    The Macallan Distillery was established by Alexander Reid in 1824 when he obtained a license to operate a distillery on a small hill, overlooking the River Spey, in the village of Craigellachie. Roderick Kemp became the new owner of the Macallan distillery in 1892. Kemp then set to work rebuilding the distillery, improving the stills, adding new warehouse facilities, and other buildings. Kemp continued to make improvements through to the end of the century and expand Macallan's production. He also developed most of the company's quality standards, which included ageing its whiskies only in unbroken Spanish oak sherry casks. Although Kemp died in 1909, the management of the distillery was taken over by The Roderick Kemp Trust and the Kemp family remained in control until it was acquired by Highland Distillers Ltd in 1996. During the early 1960s there was a rise in interest for single malt whisky which encouraged Macallan to increase its whisky production however, they maintained their commitment to traditional distilling methods that included the use of small, handcrafted stills. So instead of converting to larger, industrial-sized stills, the company began adding new matching small stills, doubling the number of stills to 12, in 1965. In 1970, the company began construction of a new generation of stills, adding another six in 1974 and three more the following year to reach a total of 21 stills. During the 1990s, following a series of cross sharing ownership agreements the distillery was acquired by the Edrington Group. In 2004 the Fine Oak range was introduced, this new single malt is matured in carefully selected European and American oak casks, which have previously held Sherry or Bourbon.

    Maltman (The)

    The Maltman is an independent bottler of single malt Scotch whisky based in Glasgow, Scotland.

    The Maltman, a brand of the Meadowside Blending company, is an independant family firm, Donald Hart and his son Andrew bring together over half a century of experience in the Scotch whisky industry and offer some of the finest single malt whiskies available in Scotland. They have proved that they can pick good casks with balance, a trademark quality.

    Individual casks are very carefully selected for quality, those that are not good enough to make the cut go into the blending side of the business, only the very best casks are selected for the Maltman range. There are even a few real gems from lost distilleries available from time to time.


    Mannochmore Distillery was built in 1971 by John Haig & Co. on the site of another distillery, Glenlossie (which was founded in 1876). Between 1985 and 1989 the production at Mannochmore was suspended. The distillery was closed until 1989 and then again briefly in 1995. For nearly a decade the distilling crew from Glenlossie would switch to Mannochmore for a few months, but around 2007 both distilleries operated full time again. Mannochmore is now a Diageo workhorse distillery, principally making malt whisky for the Haig and Dimple blends.


    The present Midleton Distillery is an intriguing study in whiskey distillation, given its unique ability to distil a wide variety of distillate types. Indeed, this arises not only from its mission to replicate and enhance the distillate styles of the Bow Street, John's Lane and old Midleton Distilleries, but from a philosophy of innovation reaching back to the early 1970s. This guiding philosophy is aimed principally at enhancing the Irish Pot Still style.

    Miyagikyo (Nikka)

    Nikka whisky's second distilery at Miyagikyo opened in 1969. The Miyagikyo Distillery is also in northern Japan, in Sendai, northern Honshu. Taketsuru chose the site while touring the area and was immediately struck by the area, sandwiched between the Hirosegawa and Nikkawagawa rivers and surrounded by mountains. The location was selected for whisky production because of its clean air, just the right humidity for storage, and abundant underground water filtered through a layer of peat.

    Miyagikyo's whisky is typically softer and milder than its sister distillery at Yoichi.


    Just an hour from Hobart, Tasmania, in Bothwell, is the historic Nant Estate (circa 1821). Purchased by the Batt family in 2004, it continues to be lovingly and meticulously restored to its former glory. Today it is the proud home to the Nant Distilling Company, producers of the internationally renowned Nant Single Malt Whisky.

    In 2012, just four years after beginning commercial production, Nant Single Malt Whisky was catapulted to global renown when Jim Murray, the world’s foremost whisky commentator, scored Nant Single Malt Whisky – American Oak Bourbon Wood 95.5 out of 100. This rarest of scores saw Nant rated among the top 50 whiskies in the world.

    Nant’, meaning ‘stream’, was the name given by the first Welsh settlers to both the Valley and the Estate. This very stream meanders through Nant Estate and flows into the millpond; that powers the wheel that turns the stones that grist the malted barley, that also gives its name to Australia’s only Highland Single Malt Whisky.


    Nikka Whisky is made at two separate Japanese unique distilleries, 'Yoichi' and 'Miyagikyo'

    Of Nikka's two malt whisky distilleries, Yoichi produces rich, peaty and masculine malt. The whisky gets its distinct aroma and body from direct heating distillation, in which the pot stills are heated with finely powdered natural coal, the traditional method that is hardly ever used today, even in Scotland.

    Miyagikyo's location was selected for whisky production because of its clean air, just the right humidity for storage, and abundant underground water filtered through a layer of peat.


    Lying on the west coast of Argyll, Oban is conveniently located between the islands and the highlands of Scotland. Its unique whisky also manages to combine the peaty flavours from the islands with a sweeter lighter flavour of the highlands. The distillery is located on a busy laneway in the heart of Oban township.

    In 1794 John and Hugh Stevenson chose this seaside location to start their distillery because of its harbour and accessible transport by sea. Soon the town of Oban began to grow up around the distillery and the Habour. Two further generations of Stevensons continued the family's business interests in Oban. Hugh's son, Thomas, purchased the distillery and the slate quarries from his father and uncle's trustees.

    Later he built the Caledonian Hotel, but, alas, he ran into financial difficulties through supporting his brother in a printing business in Edinburgh. He attempted to satisfy his creditors by supplying them with slates and whisky. His son, John, who had been living in Peru, but who returned and took over the running of the distillery in 1830, helped Thomas. He managed Oban until shortly before his death in 1869, when it passed out of the family.

    In 1883 the unforgettably named J. Walter Higgin bought the distillery. Between 1890 and 1894 he dismantled and rebuilt it bit by bit, in order to keep it in production - such was the demand for Oban's malt. He carefully replicated the famously small stills and other traditional features in order to preserve the quality of the whisky.

    The distillery buildings and their internal arrangements remain almost the same today as they were following Higgin's refurbishment.

    Old Pulteney

    Old Pulteney has a long standing association with the sea and is known as the "Maritime Malt"

    Founded in 1826 by James Henderson at the height of Wick's celebrated herring boom, the Pulteney Distillery is the most northerly on the British mainland. At a time when road links to the town were yet to be established, the distillery was dependent on the sea for its supply of barley and for the shipping out of its malt whisky. The distillery itself has an absorbing history, with its unique pot stills defying convention to this day. The wash still, is unique in that it doesn't have a 'swan neck'. Legend has it that when the still was delivered it was too tall for the still house and the manager simply decided to cut the top off! Over time, the distillery has passed through the hands of various owners, and even closed during times of trouble for the industry in 1930. It is now owned by Inver House Distillers.

    OveReem (Old Hobart Distillery)

    Old Hobart Distillery is a boutique distillery located in Tasmania, producing hand-crafted whiskies by owner Casey Overeem. The distillery is a family affair where Casey has been joined by his daughter, Jane, a marketing graduate, to handle the operation's sales and marketing.

    They distill about 40 runs a year, with most of the whisky stored in 100-litre or 'quarter casks', which comes from the South Australian Cooperage. They are French oak casks which are ex-sherry and port barrels which are cut down to the smaller size. Some of the original casks contained premium port which was 50 years old or even older.

    Recently Overeem Port Cask whisky starred at two competitions. It received the 'highest scoring' Australian whisky of 2012 from the Malt Whisky Society of Australia and a couple of weeks later was awarded 'overall winner' of the Australian section at the World of Whisky event in Sydney. Overeem Sherry Cask was runner-up in the single malt category, while the cask strength sherry topped the cask strength section.

    Paul John Distilleries

    Paul John Single Malts are the master creations of John Distilleries Ltd, Established in 1992 in Goa, India. The company is driven by the vision of its Chairman, Mr Paul P. John.

    The beautiful landscape of Goa, inspired the distillery, using the best of time-tested processes and new-age technologies to produce Premium Single Malt Whisky. Experts from the UK installed a set of traditionally designed copper pot stills, with a production capacity of 3000 litres a day.

    Paul John Single Malts are highly rated whiskies around the world, not only managing to surprise but also impress by winning many prestigious awards including 'Asian Distiller of the Year' in 2015.


    • Available soon...

    Port Charlotte

    Port Charlotte Distillery, on the island of Islay was a purpose-built distillery, founded in 1829, which was still in operation until 1929. It was formerly called the Lochindaal distillery. The distillery is located in the centre of the Port Charlotte village which is about two miles southwest from the Bruichladdich Distillery. After various owners, the distillery was finally closed in 1929. However, the buildings have remained intact and are owned by Bruichladdich, who are planning to start up the distillery again. It is planned to have a maximum capacity of 1.2 million litres. The distilling equipment comes from the former Inverleven Distillery, Dumbarton, which was demolished in 2003. The equipment was dismantled and shipped to the island by barge. (note that the PC8, was actually distilled at Bruichladdich)

    Port Ellen

    Port Ellen is one of the three main villages on Islay in Scotland and one of the two ferry terminals on this famous island. The distillery was founded in 1854 and expanded in the 1960's. In 1983 production ceased and today bottles are rare expensive collector editions.

    Royal Lochnagar

    Though the origins of the Lochnagar distillery go back to 1826, it was some 22 years later that its received its royal approval. In 1848, Queen Victoria selected Balmoral Castle as her holiday residence. Only three days after she had arrived, the distillery manager John Begg made an invitation to Prince Albert to visit his distillery, knowing he was interested in all things mechanical. To his surprise, Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their three eldest children visited the next day. The rest, as the saying goes, is history. So impressed were they with the whisky, John Begg immediately received a Royal Warrant of Appointment as supplier to the Queen.


    Scapa is one of the northernmost distilleries in Europe: it is located in the Orkneys, an archipelago of over 67 islands to the extreme north of Scotland.

    The distillery was founded by John Townsend and MacFarlane, Glasgow distillers, on the shores of the famous Scapa Flow.

    During the first world war, the distillery narrowly escaped being destroyed by fire, thanks to the intervention of the Royal Navy. It was then used as a munitions depot by the British army.

    In 1936 the distillery was acquired by the Bloch brothers. In 1954 it was sold to Hiram Walker, who completely rebuilt it 5 years later. Since January 2006, Scapa has belonged to the Pernod Ricard group.

    Scapa is distilled in very small stills of a rare design, known as Lomond stills. It mainly produces single malts, with a very few blends. Just three people run the distillery, ensuring high quality production. Scapa production is limited to 200,000 litres per annum.

    Singleton of Dufftown

    The city of Dufftown is a small town in the heart of Speyside and was founded in 1817 by the fourth Earl of Fife, James Duff. The Earl was a local laird and built Dufftown, initially named Balvenie, to give employment after the Napoleonic Wars.

    Since 1985, Dufftown is part of the drinks conglomerate Diageo and used to be Diageo's 'powerhouse' distillery with the largest capacity of all the distilleries in the group. Dufftown is not widely advertised, as the majority of the output goes in blends (Bell's, Dewar's White Label and Johnnie Walker)


    Springbank is amongst Scotland's most traditional distilleries. It is run by a descendent of the family that founded the company in the early 1800's. John and William Mitchell had a background of illicit distilling before they founded Spirngbank in 1828.

    The town that houses Springbank, Campbeltown, was once home to about 30 distilleries. There are now just three Campbeltown distilleries: Springbank, Glen Scotia and Kilkerran, which the Springbank team opened in 2004.

    Springbank runs its whole production process in-house from the cutting of peat and malting of the barley (6 hours over a peat fire) through to the partial triple distillation process and the bottling of the final product. Every year, the distilling apparatus is cleaned out and the peatier (48 hours over a peat fire), double-distilled, Longrow is produced before reverting to Springank again.

    The whisky is never chill-filtered, so all flavours, aromas and textures are retained.

    Springbank is one of those whisky gems that serious Scotch fans love.


    Strathisla Distillery was founded in 1786 by Alexander Milne and George Taylor, which makes it the oldest distillery in Speyside. Although the illicit distillery was built in the valley (strath) by the river Isla, it was not initially named Strathisla but instead went under the name of Milltown because of its proximity to Miltown Castle. The whisky produced was however called Strahisla-Glenlivet. The distillery was sold to William Longmorne in 1828. Longmorne successfully ran the distillery for many years and greatly expanded the capacity by replacing the original 500 litre stills with two stills holding 10.000 and 20.000 litres each. In the mid-1880s much of the distillery was lost to a fire and was replaced with the beautiful buildings we see today. The distillery changed names between Strathisla and Milton or Milltown a few times in the late 19th century, but ended up being called Milton (or Milltown) until 1950 when it was sold to Chivas Brothers who renamed it Strathisla. In 1965 the number if stills were expanded from two to four. Chivas Brothers (Pernod Ricard) are the current owners.


    Strathmill was converted into a distillery in 1891, from the Strathisla corn and flour mill, in the village of Keith.

    It is now part of the Diageo stable of distilleries.


    Tamdhu Distillery located in the town of Knockando in Banffshire, Scotland, was founded in 1897 by a group of local people and one year later was purchased by Highland Distillers.

    The word Tamdhu is derived from the Gaelic meaning 'Little Dark Hill' and the name sets it apart from the numerous "Glens" distilled in Speyside. The history of the distillery was fairly quiet, without changing owners, but still marked by a long dormant time between 1927 and 1947. Its production capacity was tripled between 1972 and 1975 and now has 3 wash stills and 3 spirit stills. The distillery was mothballed in March 2010 but Ian Macleod Distillers has recently announced the purchase of the Tamdhu distillery, from the Edrington Group. The major part of the production from the Tamdhu is used in the blends : Famous Grouse, J&B and Cutty Sark.


    Captain Hugh Munro, owner of the Teaninch estate, founded the distillery on his own land in 1817. Teaninich Distillery was later carried on under Lieutenant General John Munro. General Munro was absent for many years on service in India and he granted a lease of the distillery to Robert Pattison in 1850. The next lessee, John McGilchrist Ross, succeeded about 1869, and was in charge when Alfred Barnard , author of The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom, 1887, paid a flying visit. Ross gave up the tenancy in 1895, when he was succeeded by Munro & Cameron, of Elgin, John Murno, a spirit merchant, and Robert Innes Cameron, a whisky broker. Cameron became the sole proprietor of Teaninich in 1904 but when he died in 1932, his trustees sold Teaninich to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd and today, it is owned by Diageo.

    The spirit produced at the Teaninich Distillery is a key component of Johnnie Walker Blended Scotch.


    The Tobermory (previously known as Ledaig) distillery was founded in 1798 and is the only one on the island of Mull. The present buildings were erected during its first period of operation which continued until 1826. Tobermory is the main village on Mull and the home of the distillery. It is a dramatic location at the foot of a steep hill with the distillery signalling the beginning of the village, which spreads round a broad bay. The distillery was 'silent' for long periods in the mid 1800s and mid 1900s and was twice revived during the 1970s. Now it has been revived again and is owned by Burn Stewart Distillers. One of the oldest commercial distilleries in Scotland, he Tobermory Distillery is quite unique to other distilleries as it produces two very distinct single malt Scotch Whiskies, Tobermory single malt, which has an extremely smooth taste profile and the robustly peated Ledaig single malt.


    Located near the village of Tomintoul, in the Glenlivet Estate, at Ballantruan on the east side of the River Avon and in the valley between the Glenlivet Forest and the hills of Cromdale lies the Tomintoul Distillery. Tomintoul (pronounced tom-in-towel was built in the mid 1960s. At a height of around 350m, it is the highest village in the Highlands. The distillery is capable of producing over three million litres of alcohol per annum and distilling equipment includes a semi-Lauter mash tun, six stainless steel washbacks and four stills (with boil balls in their necks). The spirit is matured in a combination of American oak bourbon casks and refill hogshead with some Oloroso sherry butts. Tomintoul has been owned by Angus Dundee Distillers since 2000 and currently operates at full capacity.


    The Tormore is one of the younger Scottish distilleries, the distillery construction began in 1958 and was completed in 1960. It was the first new distillery to be built in the country in the 20th century. Designed by Sir Albert Richardson for Long John International, it is a listed building, and one of the most architecturally striking distilleries. The building is made of granite, has copper rotors and a clock which plays 4 different Scottish songs each quarter of an hour. In 1972, the distillery was expanded from four to eight stills. These were converted to be heated by wood chips in 1984, a by-product of the area's forestry. Tormore is owned by Pernod-Ricard.


    The history of Tullibardine as a location for brewing and distilling is one of the oldest in Scotland. Located in Blackford, the gateway to the Highlands. The most important aspect of the location is the plentiful supply of fresh, spring water from the surrounding Ochil Hills. These hills were formed more than 400 million years ago with layers of basalt and red sandstone, and are well known for the gold that was mined from them. The water that reaches the distillery has taken 15 years to reach the Danny Burn, which is the spring where they take the water from.

    In 1947 William Delme Evans began converting the original brewery buildings that remained into a distillery, and in 1949 the first spirit was distilled at the newly named Tullibardine Distillery.

    Tullibardine is a drop of pure Highland Gold, that brings to its custodians, a hand crafted, vibrant, Single Malt Scotch Whisky from a now independently family owned distillery.

    Wemyss Malts

    The family name, pronounced 'Weems', comes from the Gaelic word for caves which stems from the rocky outcrop on the Firth of Forth on which the family home, Wemyss Castle, sits.

    Looking back towards Edinburgh, the castle has been their family seat for over six centuries.

    The Wemyss family have had a longstanding passion for malt whisky and their connections with the industry date back to the turn of the 19th century when John Haig (founder of Haig's) built his first distillery on Wemyss land.

    With this passion came the realisation that, even for the knowledgeable consumer, much of the malt whisky terminology can be confusing. Their range of hand crafted malts was conceived with the aim of making them more accessible and understandable.

    They use the taste and aromas of the individual whiskies to identify each bottling, rather than the distillery, so the consumer can more easily understand the style being purchased.

    White Oak (Akashi)

    The White Oak whisky distillery is located in the city of Akashi in Hyōgo Prefecture, west of Kōbe, facing the Seto Inland Sea. The distillery was founded by Eigashima Shuzō which has produced sake and shochu since 1888. Eigashima Shuzō obtained a license to manufacture whisky in 1919, but it was when the company moved to their current facilities in 1984 that White Oak Distillery was born. White Oak’s whisky stills are only in operation for one month every year and so their production quantity each year is minuscule.


    Yamazaki is a Japanese distillery and lies at the confluence of the Katsura, Kizu and Uji rivers, nestled up against forested hills rising out of the Kansai plain. Its malts show a tendency towards a delicate fruitiness, often with sweet spice, incense, vanilla and coconut tastes and aromas.

    Yoichi (Nikka)

    Yoichi is Japan's second oldest distillery, is owned by Nikka whisky and is about 50km west of Sapporo City in southern Hokkaido, which is the northernmost of Japan's four principal islands. It was built by the founder of Japanese' whisky Taketsuru when he split from Suntory in 1934. High up on the North coast of Japan's northern Island of Hokkaido, it spends much of the year deep in snow.

    Yoichi still uses old coal-fired pot stills, a method which Taketsuru learned in Scotland but which has now died out in that country. Yoichi produces rich, peaty and masculine malt. The whisky gets its distinct aroma and body from direct heating distillation, in which the pot stills are heated with finely powdered natural coal, the traditional method that is hardly ever used today, even in Scotland.

    Shopping Basket
    Item:Unit Price:Qty:Cost: 
    You have no items in your Shopping Basket.
    ©2011 – 2015 Single Malt Whisky
    Single Malt Whisky Pty. Ltd.    ABN: 76 145 844 220    ACN: 145 844 220    Liquor Licence No: 36120337
    Warning: Under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 it is an offence:
    • To supply alcohol to a person under the age of 18 years (Penalty exceeds $17,000).
    • For a person under the age of 18 years to purchase or receive liquor (Penalty exceeds $700).
    Site designed and built by Graytech Computers