Bowmore (BOH-mor) Distillery is situated on the shore of Loch Indaal in the town of Bowmore, on the Island of Islay(eye-la). Founded over two centuries ago in 1779 by a local merchant, John P. Simpson, before passing into the ownership of the Mutter family. Bowmore is the first recorded, legal, distillery on Islay and one of the oldest in the whole of Scotland. One of only a few distilleries anywhere which still produces its own floor malted barley, hand-turned by traditional wooden malt shovel. Water is drawn from the Laggan River, with its rich peaty overtones, and Islay peat, fires the malt drying kiln. The distillery, like most in Scotland, was mothballed during the World Wars, and hosted the RAF Coastal Command for much of World War II, Coastal Command operated flying boats from Loch Indaal on Anti-submarine warfare missions.
Since the Morrison family ownership, Bowmore Distillery is now controlled by the Japanese distiller, Suntory.