The Caledonian Distillery near the Haymarket in Edinborough, was informally known as ‘the Cally’.
Built in 1855 it increased its output, when Alfred Bernard visited in 1886 he was impressed with the size of the Caledonian. Apart from Port Dundas and The John Power and John Jameson Distilleries in Ireland there was nothing else in the British Isles to match. With an annual output of two million gallons of grain whisky and employing 200 men and 11 excisemen.
It closed in 1988 and is now a housing development.
Showing the single result