Dallas Dhu distillery was originally named “Dallasmore”, and was built in 1898 by Alexander Edward of the Sanquhar estate in the central highlands of Scotland. One of its main features is the pagoda roof above the malt barn. When the company of Wright and Greig bought it in 1899 they changed the name of the to “Dallas Dhu”, it means Black water valley in Gaelic. Dallas Dhu was located on the Altyre Burn to ensure a good supply of the most important raw material, water. Excellent barley was available nearby, and the site was served by the (now long closed) railway line from Forres to Aviemore.
Dallas Dhu’s fortunes fluctuated over the following 80 years, and its ownership changed more than once. The distillery was closed from 1929 to 1936; and the stillhouse burned down in 1939, being rebuilt just in time to be closed once more during World War Two
Although the Altyre burn did not dry up, by 1983 the water supply had become unreliable. Also by the 1980’s it became clear that within the whisky world, production had well exceeded demand, and economic pressure finally forced Dallas Dhu to close. The last barrel was filled in 1983 and the distilling license was withdrawn in 1992. Historic Scotland has operated the property since 1992.
Showing the single result