Fettercairn distillery, set up by the Ramsay family, has been in operation since 1824, making it one of Scotland’s oldest malt whisky distilleries. The Distillery is snugly tucked away at the foot of the Cairngorm mountains (the name Fettercairn means ‘foot of the mountain’) from which it takes spring water supplies. The distillery was rebuilt between 1887 and 1890 after it was damaged by a fire. It was also silent between 1926 & 1939, when it was acquired by Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd. The new owners resumed production and until the maltings were closed in 1960 the distillery enjoyed a few quiet decades. In 1966 the number of stills was extended from two to four, but that was the last major change to the distillery itself. Fettercairn was acquired by the Tomintoul-Glenlivet Distillery Co in 1971, but just two years later the Tomintoul-Glenlivet Distillery Co was sold to Scottish & Universal Investment Trust, (owned by the Fraser family) who also buy Whyte & Mackay in the same year. A few other owners and company name changes occur, but Fettercairn is now part of Whyte & Mackay Distillers Ltd.