Glen Elgin is an unusually distinctive Speyside single malt, from a little known traditional distillery, that finds its home 10 miles south of where the river Lossie exits to the sea and about 40 miles east of Inverness. Founded at the end of the whisky boom in 1898, Glen Elgin, was built and designed by the notable distillery architect Charles Doig of Elgin. Situated approximately 3 miles south of Elgin on the road to Rothes, little has changed in a hundred years. In the 1930s, it became part of Scottish Malt Distillers, for whom it was an important component of the well-known White Horse blend. Innovations were rare during Glen Elgin’s first half century though one was crucial – the site had partly been chosen for its ability to make use of abundant water supplies from the Glen Burn to drive a turbine that provided most of the power needed to run the machinery. As a result, electricity from the national supply was not needed until 1950.
The early 1960s brought much needed investment and four new stills were finally added to the original two. The spirit and wash stills are similar in size and shape, although the spirit stills have a flatter pot. There is a gentle incline on the lyne arms which lead outside to the worm tubs. Using worm tubs to cool the distilled vapours, as opposed to condensers, adds a depth and richness to the spirit.
Showing all 2 results