John Manson founded the Glen Garioch distillery with his younger brother Alexander, they built the distillery and a brewery on the site of an old tannery which had a water supply from the Percock Hills. The Garioch (pronounced ‘Geery’) is a tract of richly fertile land, some 150 square miles in extent. The location is known as ‘the granary of Aberdeenshire’, where fine barley and crystal springs have been abundant for over a thousand years, so it is not surprising that Glen Garioch Distillery was established as early as 1797, one of the oldest operating distilleries in Scotland. In 1884 JG Thomson & Co. of Leith became the new owners. In 1937 Scottish Malt Distillers part of DCL, purchases Glen Garioch. Two years later, in 1939, World War II begins and the distillery is closed, with some buildings being used as army dormitories, production resumes after the war. In 1972 Glen Garioch becomes the first distillery in Scotland to gas fire it’s stills. In July of 1994, Japanese whisky company Suntory Ltd become owners, closing the distillery in October of 1995. In 1997, Morrison Bowmore Distillers Ltd (now a wholly owned subsidiary of Suntory) resumed production at Glen Garioch, now as a non-peated malt.
Showing all 4 results