Originally a meal mill, Glen Keith Distillery is in Keith, on the banks of the river Isla, opposite the Strathisla Distillery. Although much of the mill has been demolished, Chivas Brothers converted it to a distillery in 1958 and it was one of the first new malt distilleries built in Scotland since the distillery-building boom of the 1890’s. In 1970, Glen Keith became the first distillery in Scotland to have a gas-fired still and the first microprocessor for controlling aspects of production was installed 10 years later. The system was subsequently extended to provide improved quality and production controls in the mill and eventually even the still room. Glen Keith tested and introduced many other innovative processes designed to complement and refine the traditional arts and skills involved in the making of malt whisky. The distillery is now owned by Pernod Ricard, who purchased Chivas Brothers Limited in 2001. However, it has been silent since March 1999, but the site is still used as a filling store and technical centre.
Showing all 2 results