Glen Moray distillery is located on the banks of the river Lossie in the Western quarter of the ancient city, and royal burgh of Elgin, Speyside, Scotland. In the year 1831, Glen Moray was originally built as a brewery. It was converted to a distillery in 1897, but closed in 1910. It was briefly reopened in 1912 but closed again the same year, after which the distillery remained silent for almost a decade. After Glenmorangie took over it managed to resume production in 1923. With the exception of the year 1932 when no whisky was produced at all, the distillery remained in production until 1958 when it was reconstructed. The distillery received 2 additional stills at this time. The Glenmorangie Company who had owned the distillery since 1920, sold in 2008 to La Martiniquaise.