Glen Scotia (pronounced glen sco-sha) was founded in 1832 by the Galbraith family. The family sold it to West Highland Malt Distillers in 1919, although that company went bankrupt in 1924 and control of the distillery was transferred to Duncan MacCallum. Glen Scotia closed in 1928 but whisky production restarted in 1933. In 1954 the distillery was bought by the Hiram Walker company, who sold it to A. Gillies & Co. After less than one year of ownership, A. Gillies & Co. was absorbed into Amalgamated Distillers Products in 1970. Glen Scotia was closed again in 1984, and then re-opened in 1989, and production stopped once more in 1994 when the distillery was bought by Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouse. Production was again resumed in 1999. It is one of only a few remaining distilleries in the region of Campbeltown.