Glenlossie distillery, which sits near Elgin in the east of Speyside was built by John Duff in 1876. A former publican of the Fife arms John Duff constructed a double oblong building from concrete, giving it a clean modern finish. The Still house he built from stone and the kiln has a traditional pagoda roof which although not open to the public can be seen as one of the main structures on the road to Elgin.
Glenlossie is a combination of two distilleries. The Glenlossie and the Mannochmore distillery (which was constructed in 1971). For many years the same production crew switched back and forth between the the two distilleries, operating each distillery for six months and laying down stocks before relocating to the other. Once production increased both distilleries operated full time using two still houses, and sharing the same warehouses.
In 1929 there was a major fire which damaged most of the malting floors and took several years to restore to its previous production. After its restoration it was transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers, and today operates under Diageo ownership.
Glenlossie produces a light, grassy spirit that once matured is used in a range of blended whiskies, and is a particularly important component in the Haig Whisky brand. The only official distillery bottling is under the Flora and Fauna label.
Showing all 2 results