Built in 1897, by Thomas MacKenzie, the Imperial Distillery coincided with Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee, which was no doubt an influencing factor when naming the distillery. The water supply originates from the Mannoch hills to form the Ballintom Burn from where the water is drawn. With a shaky start and history, Imperial distillery started production in the summer of 1898 only to close a year later for 20 years. Production did recommence in 1919 but, again, for only six years. In 1955 it was renovated and reopened and in 1965, the stills increased from 2 to 4, but in 1985 it closed again. Reopened in 1989 by Allied Distillers, it was mothballed in 1998.
Showing all 2 results