Laphroaig Distillery is located on the remote island of Islay in the Western Isles of Scotland. Laphroaig, pronounced “La-froyg”, is a Gaelic word meaning “the beautiful hollow by the broad bay”. It is one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. The distillery was established in 1815 by Donald and Alexander Johnston but it is very likely that it was illegally distilling even before this. Their descendants ran the distillery until 1887, when it passed to the Hunter family. They in turn ran the distillery until 1954, Ian Hunter took over Laphroaig in 1921 and made several modernization’s, for example the production capacity was doubled in 1923, and he also introduced the concept of storing the whisky in bourbon casks. When Ian died he left the distillery to one of his managers, Bessie Williamson. During WW2 production was completely shut down as the buildings were used as a garrison. The distillery was sold to Long John International in the 1960s, and subsequently became part of Allied Domecq in 1990. After the French group Pernod Ricard took control of Allied Domecq in 2005, the Laphroaig distillery was sold to the American Fortune Brand which is now Beam Global.
Laphroaig has been the only whisky to carry the Royal Warrant of the Prince of Wales, which was awarded in person during a visit to the distillery in 1994.
Showing all 6 results