Port Charlotte Distillery, on the island of Islay was a purpose-built distillery, founded in 1829, which was still in operation until 1929. It was formerly called the Lochindaal distillery. The distillery is located in the centre of the Port Charlotte village which is about two miles southwest from the Bruichladdich Distillery. After various owners, the distillery was finally closed in 1929. However, the buildings have remained intact and are owned by Bruichladdich, who are planning to start up the distillery again. It is planned to have a maximum capacity of 1.2 million litres. The distilling equipment comes from the former Inverleven Distillery, Dumbarton, which was demolished in 2003. The equipment was dismantled and shipped to the island by barge.
(note : the whisky is actually distilled at Bruichladdich)