Strathisla Distillery was founded in 1786 by Alexander Milne and George Taylor, which makes it the oldest distillery in Speyside. Although the illicit distillery was built in the valley (strath) by the river Isla, it was not initially named Strathisla but instead went under the name of Milltown because of its proximity to Miltown Castle. The whisky produced was however called Strahisla-Glenlivet. The distillery was sold to William Longmorne in 1828. Longmorne successfully ran the distillery for many years and greatly expanded the capacity by replacing the original 500 litre stills with two stills holding 10.000 and 20.000 litres each. In the mid-1880s much of the distillery was lost to a fire and was replaced with the beautiful buildings we see today. The distillery changed names between Strathisla and Milton or Milltown a few times in the late 19th century, but ended up being called Milton (or Milltown) until 1950 when it was sold to Chivas Brothers who renamed it Strathisla. In 1965 the number if stills were expanded from two to four. Chivas Brothers (Pernod Ricard) are the current owners.
Showing the single result