Extract from Alfred Barnard’s historic tour of every whisky distillery in Great Britain, published in ‘1887’
THIS Distillery is situated in Millknowe, in the suburbs of Campbeltown. From the gateway there is a delightful view of Bengoillean and the woods of Lime Craigs, the property of the Duke of Argyle. lt was built in the year 1830 by the father of the present proprietors, on lines similar to the other works built about that time. There is a good look out from the front, and there takes in a wide range of hill and loch scenery. It stands about one mile from the wharf, and covers one and a half acres of ground.
The works consist of two Granaries, four Malt Barns with the usual steeps, and two capital Kilns with perforated tile flooring. Peat only, which is supplied in large quantities from the Hebrides, is used in the drying. There is a good Mill House and Stores ; also a 14-foot diameter Mash Tun with revolving machinery; a fourteen horse-power steam engine j a large boiler, 24 feet long and 8 feet in diameter; six Wash Backs, each capable of holding 5,000 gallons Low Wines and Wash Charger; three Pot Stills, one having a capacity of 2,500 gallons, another 1,650, and the third 580 gallons; Receivers, two Heaters, two old-fashioned Coolers, Spirit Store, Vat, and five large Warehouses, capable of storing 2,000 casks; Cooperage, &c.
The Water used comes from the Crosshills Loch. The Distillery is worked chiefly by manual labour, and there are eleven persons employed. The chief Excise officer is Mr. J. McDougal.
The Whisky is Highland Malt, and is gold chiefly in Glasgow, Ayrshire, and London.
The annual output is 85,000 gallons.